Thursday, August 31, 2006

Lowered Weight, Raised Confidence


Well, the weather has perked up a bit and my mood, likewise. Getting back into the Rhythmball "swing" (little pun there) of things and wondering why more people aren't giving the sport a try. I think it might have something to do with lack of confidence.

It's funny -- we Americans have this reputation of being brash and self-confident, but when it comes to athletic abilities that brashness goes right out the window. I was talking to a certified personal trainer this week, telling him about Rhythmball. He hopped online and looked at the Rhythmball home page. This is a guy who does martial arts and is in top physical condition, and yet his first impression upon seeing the little movie on the home page? "Wow. I could never do that."

Why is it that we're raised to believe that we can do anything, and yet inherently doubt our own physical abilities? I'm no Martha Graham -- in fact, if I were a celebrity (working on it) I could be in a show called "Falling Down with the Stars." And yet, I managed to keep the ball on the Rhythmball paddle consistently after only one practice session, and had most of the first set of tricks mastered after only two or three go-arounds.

It's not that hard, people! It can even be done sitting down if you want to start off easy or are a "wheeled" individual (in fact, Rhythmball was originally developed to help people in wheelchairs improve musculature, circulation, digestion and more). And now the box of new clothes my mother-in-law sent me are mostly too big, which is continuing to bolster my confidence. It's well worth the $30 (ok, $29.95 plus shipping and handling) if you're looking to improve not only your body, but your outlook and, hey, even your physical confidence! I haven't tripped over my own feet in weeks. It's a beautiful thing. And it's totally fun, too. But that's for another day. Time to go Rhythmball!

Rhythmball, self confidence, adaptive recreation

No comments: