Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Rhythmball Benefit #49


My friend Kris came over for a visit today with her seven-month-old baby, Eli, who has eyes so blue they look purple. I have a soft spot in my heart for Eli because he weighed even more than MY baby did at birth -- my kid was 9 lbs. 4.5 oz, and Eli was 11 lbs. 7.75 ounces. Yowza.

I let Kris settle in before sweeping her baby onto my lap, where I bounced him for a little while until he got restless. I stood up to hand him back to his mommy and he practically floated up to the ceiling.

"Kris," I said, "he's light as a feather!"

"Lynn," she replied, "he's 21 pounds!"

Which makes me wonder how heavy he'd feel if I hadn't spent the last two months Rhythmball-ing and all last week helping Melanie move her shoes and makeup, and also makes me wonder how much my nine-month-old weighs. He goes in for his well-baby check this week. Anyone want to place some bets???

baby weight, baby games, baby please take a nap

2 comments:

Julie said...

Just wondering...does it ever bother you when people make comments about how big your baby is?

As a mom of a very lean little boy, I obviously don't get these types of comments. Though most people think my guy is younger than he is because he looks small. (He's not actually--he's 75th percentile for height, but looks littler because of the 15th percentile for weight.)

I get the "oh, is he walking already?" comments. Yeah, he's been walking for eight months! And it's sometimes fun to watch the jaws drop if he's feeling talkative.

But I imagine it can be a little annoying to hear "Oh, he's a BIG boy" day after day.

LBJ said...

He's big, but he's also nicely proportioned, so I don't take it as "wow, your kid is a huge lard-ass."

It would also be harder to take if he weren't so smiley, so usually people comment on that first and his size later. I think most folks just figure he's older than he is, which is kind of what I went through when I was 11, so I'm accustomed...

Best comment was from an old man at the post office, who looked at baby and said to him, "Aren't you a buster!" Soooo New England.

Doctor's appointment tomorrow! I'm guessing he's 27 pounds. Will keep you posted.

As an aside, I think I'm going to write a novel where all of the characters names are derived from Blogger's commenting word-verification strings. "Zzlbbut" has a great ring to it.